Thursday, December 13, 2012

It is official!!!

I officially scheduled a date for my doctoral defense, the last week in February. It feels so real now, and it's exciting that this journey is coming to an end. Since I am a night owl, I have been spending some really late nights/ early mornings holed up in my office on campus writing. I tend to get a lot more done at night. With my writing buddy and Christmas music playing in the background, my creative juices just keep flowing. God willing, by the end of February there will be a newly minted PhD in the house- Amen.

I am still applying for jobs since all the deadlines are this December or January. Hopefully, in the Spring semester I'll get interviews and job offers. I just found out that my alma mater is hiring for a tenure track faculty position, which I plan to apply for. It would be funny working as a professor in the school I attended as a clueless undergrad. On this job issue, there's something I was thinking about the other day. One of the postdoctoral fellowships I am applying for that seems like a perfect fit for me, wants to fill their position no later than June. If I am accepted, I don't want to begin work till July/ August 'cos of the baby and stuff. I was wondering whether or not to mention about my pregnancy during the interview (it's a skype interview). Another part of me thinks I should just keep it to myself until I am offered a position, and then we can negotiate on the start date. Would it be dishonest not to mention being pregnant during the interview? Would that reduce my chances of being considered for the position? Anyway, those are some of the thoughts going on in my head. I'll just wait and see how it all plays out. If you've been in a situation like this before, I would love to hear your thoughts on how you handled it. Oh, the joys of trying to balance career and a family, as a woman!

I cannot wait till Christmas, it is my favorite time of the year.

2 comments:

  1. All the best with your doctoral defense, February is just round the corner.

    And good luck with the job applications as well. I wouldn't mention anything about the pregnancy if I were you until after being offered the position, that is not being dishonest. But if they do ask if you have any planned holidays etc then it would be a good idea to mention that yo were expectant. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I plan on doing just that. When offered the position, then I can tell them that I am expecting.

    ReplyDelete