Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Putting pen to paper

Hello blogdarls, I just got back from a meeting with one of the professors (SL) on my committee and I feel lost! I wanted to meet up with her early since she is one of the methodologists on my committee to begin my data analysis. Let's just say, I came out of that meeting feeling like I still have a long way to go and I have to get back to the drawing board. Let me give you guys a full picture. I chose to write a 3-paper dissertation rather than the traditional dissertation, because it will give me the opportunity to have 3 more published papers. Also, I decided to collect my data in Nigeria on people living with HIV/AIDS (PLHWA) (yes, indeed! That's story for another day). I have so far come up with Papers 1 & 2, and I have no clue, as of now, what paper 3 will be. SL is a very brilliant lady and some of the things she brought up today are definitely things that are useful and i need to work on. So basically, I have to think through the 2 papers and come up with an outline. I feel very lost, but i know that i can do it. I just need to spend some more time immersed in my data.

In other news, I am going to Nigeria in July for a 4 week data collection/ follow up. I have so many things I want to pour out on here, but I do not have the time right now to type it all out. I'll list them out because I feel it may be useful for another person. I am in a situation right now where my advisor (BB) wants me to do a follow up data collection, but 3 other people on my committee don't think it is necessary. Since BB is the chair of said committee, he holds the final say. Deep down within me I am 95% sure that I will not be getting any new information from my sample. I think the PLHWA i interviewed have already said it all. In addition, some of the PLHWA I have started contacting via phone for a follow up interview are denying ever meeting me or knowing who I am (Big shock??? NO!) Of course, i am not surprised because HIV is still a stigmatized disease in Nigeria, and in many other countries. Another thing i would like to blog about someday is having a senior, tenured professor versus a young, untenured professor as an advisor (the pros & cons of each one). I happen to fall in the former category.

By the way this blog is also to keep me accountable. Before i come back to blog again, I need to work on:
1) Outlines for 2 papers
2) Finish coding the last 10 transcripts
3) Run my stats

I meet up with my 2nd methodologist on Thursday, so we shall see what happens.
Till then, remain blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment